• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC and Friends, Vol.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bovo

Zaptruder said:
Do europeans have any curry recipies that have been naturalized for europeans? Would be intresting to see one!

Not sure what you mean by naturalized, but the kedgeree recipe i posted in volume 1 was from an english cookery book published in the 1860s. It's a (mild) curried dish that was very popular in english country houses (orignating in British India), but is a bit old-fashioned now.

There are plenty of other anglo-indian curries that you get in takeaways today that I'm sure bear little resemblance to traditional Indian food (but I'm not an expert....)

Zaptruder

Banned
bovo said:
Not sure what you mean by naturalized, but the kedgeree recipe i posted in volume 1 was from an english cookery book published in the 1860s. It's a (mild) curried dish that was very popular in english country houses (orignating in British India), but is a bit old-fashioned now.

There are plenty of other anglo-indian curries that you get in takeaways today that I'm sure bear little resemblance to traditional Indian food (but I'm not an expert....)

I guess I'm looking for those traditional kinds of recipies... or whatever curry recipies that might have originated from Europe, outside of asian influence.

Kinda like the dutch curry... which is supposedly very similar to japanese curry, amusingly enough.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Weekend-cooking for guests it is! I just returned from shopping.

Today, it will be a BBQ with Hamburgers.

For the Sunday, I will wander into baking and show you a recipe for a genuine "Marmorkuchen" (marble cake) with chocolate glaze, a true birthday classic. For tomorrow night, we will do a recap of the pasta with tomato sauce, courtesy of the wife.

AAAAnd maybe, as a little token of appreciation, there will be a .pdf Version of volume 1 for you to grab.:)

Stay tuned and keep on posting, please.

ChryZ

Not much cooking last week, time to eat well on the weekend.

Salmon Wellington
(with herb marinated and roasted vegetables)

good for four servings

main ingredients:

2 X frozen puff pastry sheet (size of the fish filet)
1 X salmon filet (size of your puff pastry sheets)
2 X small onion
3 X garlic clove (mashed with garlic press)
200 G feta cheese (sheep cheese, 7 oz)
450 G spinach (16 oz)
1 TSP nutmeg
1 TBSP dried or fresh thyme

sauce ingredients

250 G yogurt ( 8.8 oz)
4 TBSP chopped dill
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP honey
1/2 TSP pepper
1/2 TSP salt

side dish ingredients

1 X carrot
2 X red onion
1 X zucchini
12 X small mushroom
3 X bell pepper (red, green, yellow)
1 X garlic clove (mashed with garlic press)
4 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TSP dried rosemary
1 TSP dried thyme
1 TSP dried basil
1 TSP dried oregano
1 TSP pepper
1 TSP salt

Salmon_Wellington_01.jpg

blanch the spinach, pour boiling water over it and wait a minute or two

Salmon_Wellington_02.jpg

discard the hot water and quench the spinach with some cold water,
gently press as much water as possible out of it, then chop it up

Salmon_Wellington_03.jpg

combine crumbled feta, eggs, thyme, nutmeg, garlic, salt, pepper and chopped spinach

Salmon_Wellington_04.jpg

mix well and let rest

Salmon_Wellington_05.jpg

check out the size of the puff pastry sheets and trim the salmon accordingly

Salmon_Wellington_06.jpg

make a bed of the spinach/feta mix on one pastry sheet, place the salmon on top of it

Salmon_Wellington_07.jpg

cover the filet with another layer of spinach/feta mix

Salmon_Wellington_08.jpg

fold the sheet and seal the overlap with a wet brush

Salmon_Wellington_09.jpg

use half of the spare sheet to seal the package,
again ... a wet brush will help to "glue" them together

Salmon_Wellington_10.jpg

hehe, well ... classy food my ass, apply silly decoration (optional)

Salmon_Wellington_11.jpg

brush the fishy with some mixed egg and sprinkle with some sesame

Salmon_Wellington_12.jpg

(remaining pastry can be filled with some of the remaining spinach/feta mix for some
awesome snacking later on ... it also makes on heck of a fin)

place the fishy in a pre-heated oven at 160C (320F) and set a timer to 30 min

Salmon_Wellington_13.jpg

the 30 min are perfect to prep and cook the side dish, get the ingredients ready

Salmon_Wellington_14.jpg

mix the herbs, oil, vinegar and garlic in a bowl
(dried herbs can be re-activated by some mortar "rubbing")

Salmon_Wellington_15.jpg

wash, then chop the veggies up and mix with the herb marinade
(don't marinate the mushrooms, they will get oily soggy)

Salmon_Wellington_16.jpg

mix the sauce ingredients together while the veggies are marinating

Salmon_Wellington_17.jpg

30 min should be over by now, time to check out the wellington
(looking good, but not ready yet)

Salmon_Wellington_18.jpg

roast the mushrooms first, dry and very hot bbq pan

Salmon_Wellington_19.jpg

swap with veggies when the mushrooms are done, let the veggies roast

Salmon_Wellington_20.jpg

deglaze the pan with a generous drizzle of red wine, stir well

Salmon_Wellington_21.jpg

those last 5-10 min should be enough to make the wellington perfect,
remove it from the oven (haha, some feta leakage that looks like a fin!)

Salmon_Wellington_22.jpg

the finshed, herb-marinated and roasted vegetable side dish

Salmon_Wellington_23.jpg

salmon wellington (looney toon style!)

Salmon_Wellington_24.jpg

plated on some dill sauce and sided by some roasted vegetable mix

Enjoy!

e5cef1c9b5.gif

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, that looks ace and will put the humble burger meal of mine to shame:lol
Very nice variation of the classic "Wellington" preparation. Fish and mushrooms are an unusual combination, so bonus points from me. Thank you for this worthy contribution.
The guests just called, they are one hour away. I am calling off for now, recipe and pictures will follow later this night or early tomorrow morning, Berlin time. Stay tuned and keep on posting!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I hate cooking (I'm way, waaaaaay too lazy). I have almost no interest in cooking, and I doubt I ever will. And yet I still find this thread to be interesting, captivating, and awesome for reasons I can't explain.

How the hell do you find the time to do all this? (planning, shopping, cooking, eating). Every single meal sounds like a day long process.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slayn said:
I hate cooking (I'm way, waaaaaay too lazy). I have almost no interest in cooking, and I doubt I ever will. And yet I still find this thread to be interesting, captivating, and awesome for reasons I can't explain.

How the hell do you find the time to do all this? (planning, shopping, cooking, eating). Every single meal sounds like a day long process.

Hello slayn,
thank you for the feedback. For my part, I spend about 15 Minutes a day thinking about what to cook, do the shopping on my way home after work. Preparation of the dishes takes between 30 and 90 minutes, depending on the dish. The time used for eating is about the same as preparation time.

A normal day is like this: 6AM Breakfast with the wife and thinking together about what to cook in the evening, eventually asking here for advice/inspiration, after work shopping for the foods (5pm-5.30pm), cooking from 6.30pm until 7pm, eating from 7pm to 7.30pm, cleaning the kitchen from 7.30pm to 7.45pm.

ChryZ

Thank you guys, for the kind comments regarding my wellington.

OnkelC said:
Very nice variation of the classic "wellington" preparation. Fish and mushrooms are an unusual combination, so bonus points from me.
What would you consider a classic "wellington" preparation? Using spinach to steam the fish inside the wellington is pretty standard ... the feta might be a bit off standard, but it worked very well with the salmon and the spinach. Fish and mushrooms are an unusual combination? I've seen many recipes and dishes with that combo, it's not uncommon to use duxelles (chopped mixture of mushrooms, onions, shallots and herbs sautéed in butter) in combination with fish.

slayn said:
For the wellington: Planning, 0 min since I've done this dish before. Shopping: the dried herbs are always available at home, the feta was bought at the supermarket and is usually good for a few weeks, the rest I've picked up at the local market in the morning will shopping for fresh bread. Cooking started at 11:00 and the food was ready by 12:30. Taking pics usually prolongs the cooking process by 15 min.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The US/CAN GAFfers will probably laugh at the humble attempt of mine to make some burger, but it has become a classic in my BBQ repertoire with guests asking for them.

Ingredients are (for four persons):
smallCIMG2561.jpg

The Burgers:
4lb (2 kilograms) of fresh ground lean beef,
12 Hamburger buns,
two to three onions,
two large tomatoes,
slices of soft cheese,
some salt.

Condiments of choice:
smallCIMG2560.jpg

sliced pickles,
hot and medium mustards,
roast onions,
ketchup,
mayonnaise *cue "Pulp Fiction" quote*

Overall cooking and preparation time was about 45 minutes from lighting the charcoal to first bite.

First, get the charcoal going. This is done the easiest with a charcoal chimney:
smallCIMG2577.jpg

It should take about 30 minutes until the coal is glowing.

Then prepare the veggies and lettuce. Remove the stem from the tomatoes cut them to thin slices:
smallCIMG2562.jpg

smallCIMG2564.jpg

smallCIMG2563.jpg

Cube/slice the onions after your personal preference:
smallCIMG2565.jpg

Cut the washed lettuce (I used iceberg lettuce) in half, then slice it:
smallCIMG2572.jpg

smallCIMG2573.jpg

smallCIMG2574.jpg

smallCIMG2576.jpg

Next, prepare the Beef patties. I cut the beef in roughly 12 equally sized chunks, then pressed them with the palm of my hand. NO salt added yet, as it would cause the beef to lose its juices. By pressing them, they should be able to retain their shape until they are placed on the grill. Place the patties on a plate so you can pick them up easily later on:
smallCIMG2566.jpg

smallCIMG2567.jpg

smallCIMG2568.jpg

smallCIMG2569.jpg

smallCIMG2570.jpg

The charcoal should be ready by now. Since the patties should be grilled as fast and hot as possible to prevent them from drying out, the coal should be on a "Blacksmith" level of heat. Check out this hellfire, blue flames and all:
smallCIMG2579.jpg

smallCIMG2581.jpg

This is a good time to think about the buns. Put a pan on your stove and heat it to 2/3 of max temperature.

Place the patties on the grill and turn them over two times: first time after 4-5 minutes, second time after 2-3 minutes, slat them a bit and put a slice of soft cheese on them. Let them roast for another minute:
smallCIMG2582.jpg

smallCIMG2586.jpg

smallCIMG2587.jpg

When you have added the soft cheese, return to the kitchen, cut the buns in half and place them face down in the now hot pan. Let them toast for about 30 seconds:
smallCIMG2594.jpg

Finish Line:
Serve the buns, let the guests decorate them and finish with the patty:
smallCIMG2588.jpg

smallCIMG2589.jpg

smallCIMG2590.jpg

smallCIMG2591.jpg

DONE!
Fold them and have a feast. Repeat until you are stuffed or running out of patties:
smallCIMG2593.jpg

smallCIMG2592.jpg

Guten Appetit! from Bonn.

I am very interested in your feedback and comments for this recipe. Keep'em coming!

Marble cake preparation is next.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Thank you guys, for the kind comments regarding my wellington.

What would you consider a classic "wellington" preparation? Using spinach to steam the fish inside the wellington is pretty standard ... the feta might be a bit off standard, but it worked very well with the salmon and the spinach. Fish and mushrooms are an unusual combination? I've seen many recipes and dishes with that combo, it's not uncommon to use duxelles (chopped mixture of mushrooms, onions, shallots and herbs sautéed in butter) in combination with fish.

I meant using fish instead of the obvious beef fillet.:lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Whew, it took some time, but finally I managed to make some tacos with a few of my friends. One of the key members of our group of funny and amicable drunktards is moving with his girlfriend, so we had a dinner to "celebrate" the lose of a friend.

First of all, some considerations:

-I know those are not Mexican tacos. Quit your bitching, it's our own recipe.
-This is the "base" taco. You can put more stuff.
-This dinner was *very* improvised.
-The pics are shit. Lighting conditions were not the best.

It is still a great and quick recipe to throw a small party with your friends. It is very simple, but the result is supertasty. Just keep in mind the diarrhea factor if you plan to drink that night.

Well, here we go:

1-1.jpg

-Minced meat for four people (three grown men and a woman) Don't ask me how much, we just picked up two plates of mixed pork and beef
-Lea & Perrins sauce
-White pepper
-Curry
-Cumin
-Tortillas
-Some cognac

Not pictured: Philadelphia cream cheese (two recipients), salt, tomato sauce, tabasco, oil, a small onion, lettuce, two tomatoes, one big green pepper (not from the spicy variety). Notice that glass flask; that's the cognac. Our friend's girlfriend doesn't drink and doesn't want any kind of booze in their home (ohboi)

2-1.jpg

Somebody start chopping the green pepper and the onion.

3.jpg

Mix the meat with the spices. We do not measure the quantities, mind you, but you'll need quite a bit for all that meat.

4-1.jpg

Heat a big pan with some oil. We use olive one.

5-1.jpg

Fry the onion and the pepper.

6.jpg

Don't forget to move the mix.

7.jpg

Put the meat when the onion starts changing its colour.

8.jpg

Cut the lettuce and the tomatoes while cooking the meat and put them in separate recipients. I suggest to chop the tomatoes near the end to avoid any loss of juice.

9.jpg

Move the meat and pour a generous quantity of Lea & Perrins sauce. Once again, we don't measure it.

10.jpg

Add some cooked tomato sauce (fried tomato) See how much is left in the can? You just need like three spoons full of it, if you use more the meat will have too much juice. Once is mixed add the salt. No, we don't measure it, just try to remember that this thing is spicy, so you don't need a lot of salt. I guess we use like a coffee spoon.

11.jpg

Oh yeah, the corn. Use as much as you want but remember that it adds juice to the meat.

12.jpg

Finally, pour the cognac when it's pretty much done and keep heating it for some minutes.

13.jpg

Now, avoid this situation at all costs. We only had two pans, a big one and a very small one, so we couldn't heat the tortillas properly. You should heat a pan with no oil and do both sides of the tortillas until they form small bubbles, but always keeping them flexible, otherwise they will become fragile and you won't be able to roll the taco. As soon as one is done, you must put it in a big plastic recipient and close it so the heat and the humidity are preserved. Heat another, open the recipient, put it, close it. Keep doing it until you have all the tortillas you are going to use.

Now everything is pretty much done.

14.jpg

Here's the table. The tortillas are inside of the plastic recipient with the coke stains.

15.jpg

Take a tortilla and close the recipient quickly so the rest are preserved hot and flexible. Spread a generous amount of cheese over it.

16.jpg

Add some lettuce and tomato.

18.jpg

Add the meat.

17.jpg

Pour as much tabasco as you like. We usually cook the meat with some tabasco sauce and then use more tabasco while rolling the taco, but since we were eating with a girl we didn't want them to be extra spicy. It is also something to consider if you are going to try this recipe for first time.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Roll it! As you can see, the taco is not really tightly rolled and the tortilla is pale. This is because they were nuked instead of heated with a pan (microwaved tortillas tend to break) A nicely rolled taco should look like this:

4.jpg

Tips:

-Use more vegetables if you plan to go out after the dinner. The tacos will be kinder with your stomach.
-The leftover meat can be used to make some incredible macaroni (pour some extra tomato sauce) and rice.
-You can also use the tortillas for a dessert, just use some hot nutella and whipped cream/butter and be amazed.

Also, I found this pic of a foxy lady from the Paris Auto Show resting on my mem card and I thought I should share it with my fellow cooks.

ooohIlike.jpg

I hope you like the recipe. It is very easy, clean to prepare (not to eat, though) and utterly tasty, not to mention there's a lot of space to improve it with your own ingredients or varying the amounts.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Papa, that's grand. :)
Thank you for this fine example of Tortillaism! The hint of cognac is a nice twist to the meat sauce. Great stuff, and please keep us posted of future dishes!
rotten zombie puke, pah! I knew you can do it!:)

Marble cake WIP:
smallCIMG2639.jpg

slayn

needs to show more effort.
hey, burgers!, something even I can actually make and provide comment on.

If you are as big of a fan of onions as I am, next time, rather than simply placing onions on the finished burger, try putting it into the meat itself. That is, before flattening them into patties, mush the onions into the meat itself with your fingers. The onions should be chopped pretty fine for this, obviously, so that it just becomes another part of the ground beef mixture.

ChryZ

Hey Funky Papa, those tacos of yours are actually pretty decent beef burritos!
It's uncanny, we also got a similar recurrent mexican-food-get-together here.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ChryZ said:
Hey Funky Papa, those tacos of yours are actually pretty decent beef burritos!
It's uncanny, we also got a similar recurrent mexican-food-get-together here.
Haha, awesome. Actually I don't know squat about Mexican food so if my friend/teacher calls them tacos I assume they are tacos :)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
For Onkel and everyone else to try with their burgers:

I know Onkel put the buns down on the grill to crispen them a bit, but one thing I love to do with burgers, is pull the meat off the grill, put them onto the bun and then put the bun back in the bag. Once the bag is full, close it back up and let the burgers sit in there for a few minutes while you prep.

The heat from the burgers will produce condensation and give the buns a very nice moistness that is fantastic. Very tasty.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sefskillz said:
For Onkel and everyone else to try with their burgers:

I know Onkel put the buns down on the grill to crispen them a bit, but one thing I love to do with burgers, is pull the meat off the grill, put them onto the bun and then put the bun back in the bag. Once the bag is full, close it back up and let the burgers sit in there for a few minutes while you prep.

The heat from the burgers will produce condensation and give the buns a very nice moistness that is fantastic. Very tasty.
That sounds like the tip I was always looking for! Prepping the buns to a nice moist texture is a bitch, and this tip makes total sense. Thank you very much for the hint.:)

I will try that out the next Burger Time!

Marble cake WIP 2:
smallCIMG2645.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's bake.
Since there were a lot of birthdays recently, please take this cake as a small "congratulations!" and a small present from ze kitchen:) .
The marble cake ("Marmorkuchen" in German) is a birthday classic and a delicious piece of pastry on its own.

The ingredients for this cake (suitable for a 12 inch loaf pan):
smallCIMG2595.jpg

8 1/4oz (230g) butter or margarine,
9 1/4oz (260g) sugar,
1 packet of vanilla sugar,
a hint of salt,
4 medium to large eggs,
1,10lb (500g) wheat flour,
1 packet of baking powder,
1 cup and change milk,
some drops of rum arome or 2 tablespoons of dark rum,
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder,
butter/margarine for the loaf pan,
chocolate glaze (I used milk chocolate and dark chocolate).

The following special utensils are needed:
smallCIMG2598.jpg

a 12 inch oven pan,
a scale,
a mixer and a mixing bowl.

Preparation started at 1.50 pm:
smallCIMG2599.jpg

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius/340 degrees fahrenheit.

First, whip the margarine until it gets soft and foamy:
smallCIMG2600.jpg

smallCIMG2602.jpg

Add most of the sugar (about 8oz), vanilla sugar, a hint of salt and blend it:
smallCIMG2604.jpg

smallCIMG2606.jpg

smallCIMG2607.jpg

smallCIMG2609.jpg

Add the eggs and blend them in until you get a smooth, creamy result:
smallCIMG2610.jpg

smallCIMG2611.jpg

smallCIMG2612.jpg

Mix the flour with the baking powder and sieve it onto the mass. Add the rum (arome) to the milk and pour the mix into the bowl dough:
smallCIMG2616.jpg

smallCIMG2617.jpg

smallCIMG2618.jpg

Now mix away on high setting for a few minutes until you get a creamy and even dough:
smallCIMG2619.jpg

smallCIMG2620.jpg

smallCIMG2621.jpg

grease the loaf pan with margarine (make sure not to miss out on the corners!) and add about half of the dough into it. Spread it evenly:
smallCIMG2623.jpg

smallCIMG2624.jpg

smallCIMG2625.jpg

For the chocolate dough, add the cocoa powder, the last sugar and about three tablespoons of milk to the dough and whip it until the cocoa powder has blended in with the dough:
smallCIMG2626.jpg

smallCIMG2627.jpg

smallCIMG2628.jpg

smallCIMG2630.jpg

Add the chocolate dough to the loaf pan, then take a fork and carefully mix the doughs with a spiral movement. Preparation of the dough was finished at 2.25pm:
smallCIMG2632.jpg

smallCIMG2632.jpg

smallCIMG2634.jpg

smallCIMG2635.jpg

Place the cake in the oven and let it bake for about 90 minutes. After 20 minutes baking time, cut into the top of the cake over its full length to achieve the typical "Scar":
smallCIMG2636.jpg

smallCIMG2637.jpg

smallCIMG2638.jpg

smallCIMG2639.jpg

After about 70 minutes, stick a wooden pick into the center of the cake. If it comes out without dough sticking to it, the cake is done:
smallCIMG2641.jpg

smallCIMG2642.jpg

Take it out of the oven, carefully tip the loaf pan over and let the cake cool out on a gridiron for 90 minutes:
smallCIMG2644.jpg

smallCIMG2646.jpg

Finish Line:
Melt some chocolate glaze in hot water and generously glaze the cake with it:
smallCIMG2647.jpg

smallCIMG2648.jpg

smallCIMG2649.jpg

DONE!
Let the glaze cool down and get solid, cut a decent, birthday-worthy slice of it and serve:
smallCIMG2650.jpg

smallCIMG2655.jpg

smallCIMG2656.jpg

Happy Birthday to the unknown reader/poster!

I rehosted the last image here for further sharing. Maybe this could be a nice addition to the obligatory PBF:D

Comments and feedback are always appreciated.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be "Berner Würstel mit Kartoffelpüree" (Sausages Bern style with mashed potatoes). Those are Frankfurter Sausages with an additional cheese filling, wrapped in bacon and then pan fried. Stay tuned and share your thoughts, please.

Sumidor

I wish I wasn't such a lazy person.. Then I would actually be able to make some of this delicous looking stuff. Keep up the good work!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Convenience Monday it is!:lol

This is a plain jane dinner by all means, as it contains only the cream of the crop of convenience products:
smallCIMG2664.jpg

smallCIMG2658.jpg

instant mashed potatoes,
frankfurters with embedded chunks of cheese, wrapped in bacon strips
and frozen peas.

The sausages, albeit industrial produce, are quite delicious but prone to shpritzing in the pan, so the use of a hairnet or other kind of cover over the pan is recommended.
smallCIMG2666.jpg

smallCIMG2667.jpg

turn them over several times until the desired crunchyness is achieved. In the meanwhile, prepare the side dishes:
smallCIMG2665.jpg

smallCIMG2662.jpg

smallCIMG2663.jpg

smallCIMG2672.jpg

smallCIMG2670.jpg

DONE!
Serve with pride and a hint of mustard:
smallCIMG2674.jpg

Please excuse the lack of enthusiasm today, but I had a shitty day at the office and was dead tired. As a positive, the rest of this weeks' food can only get better:) .

Please comment and show your stuff!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Maxrpg said:
fantastic! I'd definitely have me summa dat. :)
Thank you for the feedback!:)
I expected a lot more flak for this one, so I am prepared for your criticism. Hit me with your best shot! I dare you!

Octagon

OnkelC said:
I NEED IDEAS for a fast and light diner tonight. help me plz.:)

I always make fried rice with vegetables, herbs and ham when i feel like this.

Or curry rice with eggs, though i don't think it is that light.

ChryZ

Yesterday I had some well-aged prosciutto on fresh bread (sorry, no pic), but for a post workout snack not enough protein, so I came up with a nice little omelette:

ingredients

one egg
basil (chopped)
cherry tomatos (quartered)
mozzarella (cubed)
red onion (minced)
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
salt & pepper

crack the egg, mix, season with salt and pepper
combine tomatos, onions, basil, vinegar, olive oil, season with salt and pepper

Italian_Omelette_01.jpg

heat small pan, pour egg mix in and after a moment add the tomato mix, lower the heat to medium

close and flip once or twice until the mozzarella sealed the omelette

enjoy

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, that is one fine omelette, thank you for sharing. :) I like the idea of blending some saladish ingredients with the eggs, nice idea. Did you have some more bread to go with it? A dark/rye bread would be a perfect match.

As for tonights dish, I'll go with some rice and chicken or ham. Possible candidates are fried rice, some chicken soup with rice, maybe satay with peanut sauce or chicken ragout, depending on quality of the stuff for sale.

Your suggestions will be considered for the next two hours. Keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
As a matter of luck, the chicken roaster set up his grill at the supermarket today, so I got half a roast chicken instead of the usual chicken breast. To keep in line with the barbecued flavor of the chicken, I prepared some Chow Mein noodles with veggies, accompanied by the fileted chicken and some eggs.

The ingredients for two persons are:
smallCIMG2680.jpg

Chow Mein noodles,
1/2lb fried chicken breast or roast chicken,
vegetables of choice (I went with carrots and leek),
1/4lb rice of choice,
one onion,
two eggs,
Soy sauce of choice (I used ketjap manis, a Indonesian sweet soy sauce),
some parsley.

First, get the rice going:
smallCIMG2683.jpg

Filet the chicken while it is still hot and set the meat aside:
smallCIMG2681.jpg

Wash/peel and chop the leek, carrot and onions in thin slices, wash down the parsley and set it aside:
smallCIMG2682.jpg

smallCIMG2684.jpg

smallCIMG2685.jpg

smallCIMG2687.jpg

Next, prepare the noodles. The ones I used did not need to be cooked, just put them in boiling water and let them rest for 5 minutes, then pour them and splash them with cold water:
smallCIMG2686.jpg

smallCIMG2688.jpg

smallCIMG2689.jpg

Heat a pan with some oil, fry the onions until they get glassy, add the leek and carrots and stir fry them a bit:
smallCIMG2690.jpg

smallCIMG2691.jpg

smallCIMG2692.jpg

smallCIMG2693.jpg

While the veggies are frying, chop the parsley and cut the chicken meat in even strips. Add them to the pan and season with the soy sauce. Stir fry them a bit:
smallCIMG2694.jpg

smallCIMG2695.jpg

smallCIMG2696.jpg

smallCIMG2697.jpg

Finish Line:
Add the noodles and mix them with the veggies/chicken. Let them fry for 2-3 minutes to regain heat, then add the chopped parsley. Serve in a bowl:
smallCIMG2698.jpg

smallCIMG2699.jpg

smallCIMG2701.jpg

The rice should be ready by now. Rinse and serve it (no pics, sorry). Fry the eggs in the now empty pan to the desired doneness and season them with a hint of the soy sauce:
smallCIMG2702.jpg

DONE!
Serve with the eggs on top and have a feast!:)
smallCIMG2704.jpg

Guten Appetit! from Bonn.

Feedback, critics and contributions are heartily encouraged.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dinner will be "Kalte Küche" (cold cuisine), aka bread rolls and sandwiches with various spreads and toppings. I have been quite conservative with those so far.

What are your favorite bread servings/spreads/toppings? Enlighten me!

ChryZ

Nice fried noodle dish!

Sandwiches, eh? My favs are:

-peanut butter & jelly on sourdough rye bread
-canned tuna topped with red onions, chili flakes, sesame oil on whole-grain bread roll
-tomatos, red onions, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, fresh basil, mozzarella, slightly toasted wholemeal sandwich bread
-chicken or turkey, honey, mustard, red lettuce, cheddar, white sandwich bread
-kimchi, green onions, tuna, very little honey, roasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, gochujang as spread, wholemeal sandwich bread
-bacon or ham, roasted onions, dijon mustard, cheese, any sandwich bread will do
-curry chicken leftovers, cucumber, lettuce, minced-mint yogurt
-cheese/onion omelette sandwich'd with lettuce and rye bread
-roast leftovers with coleslaw
-blt

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks ChryZ, that sounds good so far.

And the rest of you? C'mon!

Share your dirty sammich secrets, the sub stuffers and catholic guilt sourdough experiences. I promise that the wierdest combination posted in the next five hours will be taste-tested with pictures.:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Funky Papa said:
I am sooo trying those noodles this weekend. Thanks!

Best of Luck and post your results, please! :)

Dinner starts in a few minuts, pics will be up around the usual time. Stay tuned.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Abendessen ist fertig! (aka Dinner time!):lol

Unlike the stuff I usually post here, the normal German dinner is made up from bread and different toppings, the most common being cold cuts, sausages like polony or mortadella and various cheeses.
We had some conventional bread rolls and some "Milchbrötchen" (milk buns), made of a very puffy yeast dough with milk. A few years ago it was uncommon to being able to buy bread rolls in the evening, as most bakers made their daily share only in the early morning and sold them out until noon. The only stuff available in the evening was bread in various shapes and variants, usually sour dough wheat or rye variants. This is a good example for a typical German rye bread (the lumps are baked-in sunflower seeds):
smallCIMG2735.jpg

The gas stations (the only local places where you can buy foods and stuff after 8pm) started to sell "fresh" (as in frozen and then baked on site) buns some time ago, and after some protest and legal blurb from the bakers' side, the bakers followed suit and kept their ovens going until afternoon, resulting in fresh buns for the better part of the day. YAY for the oil multis!:lol

So, this is the gold standard of german bakery, the common bread roll:

smallCIMG2717.jpg

smallCIMG2719.jpg

And the milk bun:
smallCIMG2711.jpg

smallCIMG2712.jpg

I started with some "Quark" and homemade cherry marmalade on the milk bun. After I learned from Volume 1 that Quark is uncommon in the US, this is how it is sold over here (We had a no-name brand) and how it actually looks:
smallCIMG2708.jpg

smallCIMG2709.jpg

smallCIMG2710.jpg

It has got a much more liquid structure than eg Philadelphia brand cream cheese and comes unsalted, making it a fine base for hearty as well as sweet dishes. Marmalade/jam in all shapes goes very well with it:
smallCIMG2713.jpg

The second half of the milk bun was prepared with Nutella (I think that no explanations are necessary:D. If I am mistaken, please post your questions):
smallCIMG2730.jpg

smallCIMG2731.jpg

Now for the traditional bread roll. I prepared the first half with some danish cream cheese and cress:
smallCIMG2725.jpg

The second half went with some peanut butter and...

...not jelly (I did not have the guts to try it out), but a slice of medium-aged Gouda:
smallCIMG2732.jpg

See, it's "Quality *USA*", so it can't be bad, eh?:D
smallCIMG2733.jpg

And this is the result:
smallCIMG2734.jpg

If you can get a grip on bread rolls, try them out for peanut butter jelly stuff instead of sammich slices. They complement nice with the creamy peanut butter.

Now for the main course. The friendly butcher guy had some nice roastbeef cuts made today, so who am I to pass on that?
smallCIMG2722.jpg

Add a hint of remoulade / sauce tartare and off you go:
smallCIMG2724.jpg

A classic variant is a cut of polony or mortadella on the bread roll, which can be topped with a hint of mustard. The wife had a cut of polony that was made with some peppers inside:
smallCIMG2716.jpg

And some cheese for the pre-dessert. I don't know if the Babybel brand cheese is known outside of the EU, it is a small semi-soft dairy cheese which comes in roughly tablespoon or half-pound sizes. Its main characteristic is a wax shell/rind which covers the mild and slightly sour cheese. the small ones are sold in quantities of six, contained in a small hairnet, not unlike onions.
smallCIMG2727.jpg

smallCIMG2728.jpg

smallCIMG2729.jpg

Dessert itself was a cold bar of "kinder" brand chocolate with a cooled milk cream and caramel filling:
smallCIMG2736.jpg

smallCIMG2738.jpg

smallCIMG2740.jpg

Enjoy! from Bonn.

I dare you to comment and post your questions!:lol

Those sammies look good! I thought PB and J was a universal thing, who knew. I love peanut butter and jelly, but I usually eat it open face, more like toast. Its too messy "closed" with a second piece of bread. I have this a lot for breakfast on a peice of whole wheat. I have never even thought about peanut butter with cheese. I might try that for breakfast tomorrow. I have had peanut butter on a burger, it was pretty good.

Other favorites are Mixed italian cold cuts, like salami, mortadella, capicola with peppers and dressing on a hard crusty roll.

I love Banh Mi. These are Vietnamese sammies. Very popular where I am but hard to explain.

I am hoping to get off work early enough to make a quiche and I will post pics if I do.

ETA:Onkel, we have Babybel here in the US :) we have them at work for snacks, I like to collect all the wax and make sculptures with it.

Onkel - nice work on the sandwiches. The football Nutella jar is classic! :lol

onion_pixy - Banh Mi are great. I have one just about every weekend from a local place.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you both for the feedback, I appreciate it. Those Banh Mi sandwiches are intriguing, I did not exactly associate bread with asian cuisine in general.

And making sculptures from babybel shells shows the true affection for ze cheese!:lol
Peanut butter and cheese go well together imo. I had my first contact with peanut butter while preparing a satay(sp?) sauce, and I figured out that it would be fine with a salty topping.

onion_pixy, a nice quiche recipe would be very kind, I am looking forward to your contribution.

Back to sammiches: How would GAF describe the taste of a pastrami sandwich/sub? I wnt to try out making the meat topping at home, but imagine it to be a bit salty.

OnkelC said:
Thank you both for the feedback, I appreciate it. Those Banh Mi sandwiches are intriguing, I did not exactly associate bread with asian cuisine in general.
That's the genius of french-influenced asian cuisine. Yum. Definitely try one if you get a chance - they're delicious.

Back to sammiches: How would GAF describe the taste of a pastrami sandwich/sub? I wnt to try out making the meat topping at home, but imagine it to be a bit salty.
Definitely salty. It's also spiced with a fair amount of black pepper and a few other things. Somewhat like corned beef, if you've had that before.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks for the heads-up. Reading about the preparation of pastrami, I would have imagined that the taste is more in the direction of stron smoked ham rather than corned beef.

I personally don't really like corned beef, it has a "emergency ration" touch to it imho. If there is an alterniative, I try to steer clear of it. When I was working as a ships' cook, I used it exclusively for pasta sauces on longer trips when there was no butcher around.

Do you guys/girls have corned beef on a regular basis and how is it prepared? Cold as a spread/topping for bread, fried in slices or in sauces as a substitute for ground meat? What other preparations are thinkable/favored by the GAF?

Enlighten me on this one, please.

ChryZ

OnkelC, no P&J sandwich?! Boo! :p

I've made two sandwiches myself yesterday. No pics, I was way too hungry and primal instincts took over. My blurred memory of the unholy event is clearing up: the first sandwich was a slice of fresh white bread, mustard as spread, three layers of cold turkey, ice lettuce, boiled egg slices, s&p, mayo, cress and another slice of bread ... it was awesome. The second sandwich was the dessert ... a simply P&J, thanks to many years of training I was able to master a closed, yet non-dripping, one.

No usage of corned beef here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom